Your go-to guide for waste & recycling in the Twin Cities.
Paint thinner and solvents are petroleum-based products, which may be toxic and/or flammable and must be handled with care. Serious injury can result if these products are swallowed or inhaled. Vapors accumulate invisibly in closed spaces (like small rooms and sheds) and can reach dangerous levels. Make sure you have adequate ventilation when using these products.
Improper use or disposal also can pollute our soil and water.
Solvents and thinners should never be placed in the garbage, poured down the drain or on the ground. Always take them to a county household hazardous waste drop-off site for disposal.
Safe Storage and Transport
See other resources for properly dealing with paint.
To reduce the need for solvents and thinners, choose water-based (latex) paint, stain or varnish. These products only require soap and water for clean-up. Choose products that produce less toxic vapors to help protect air quality. Ask retailers to show you their line of products featuring lower levels of volatile organic compounds or VOCs.