Recycling & Disposal Information:
Currently in the Twin Cities area, the only safe disposal option is taking treated wood to a lined landfill.
- Your waste hauler may accept treated wood for landfill disposal. Call first for fees and material preparation requirements.
- County household hazardous waste sites do not accept treated wood of any kind.
Play it Safe
- Never burn any type of treated, stained or painted wood in stoves, fireplaces, or recreational or cooking fires. The emissions and ash are toxic and very harmful especially to children and pets.
- Never put treated wood sawdust in your compost pile or bin or on the ground.
- Avoid breathing sawdust from treated wood.
- Seal existing treated wood structures every two years with a penetrating sealant to prevent release of toxins.
For more information on the proper use and disposal of treated wood, contact your county (see links at right).