Never place containers with used needles or sharps a recycling bin, or loose needles or sharps in the trash. There are several options for safely disposing of needles and sharps.
County drop-off facilities
The following four counties will accept needles and sharps from households:
Please visit the county websites listed above for more detailed informationabout preparing your materials.
Destroy at home
Purchase and use a destruction device that bends, breaks, incinerates or shears needles. Ask your health care provider or pharmacist for more information, or search online using the term “needle destruction devices.”
Some companies offer mail-back programs, including:
Stericycle, Inc. 1-800-355-8773
GRP Medical Services 1-800-207-0976
Sharps, Inc. 1-800-772-5657
Ask your health care provider or pharmacist for more information.
Follow these steps when preparing your needles and sharps for disposal:
- Put the caps back on used needles and syringes.
- Place needles, syringes an lancets into a rinsed and dried puncture-resistant bottle or container with a screw-on cap, e.g., laundry detergent bottle.
- Label the container “Do Not Recycle: Household Sharps.”
- Put used sharps into the container, point-first, and only until half full.
- Dispose of containers at a drop-off site.
Additional information is available from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.