Make Your Own Lawn Bowling Set
Use old 2-liter or 20 oz. plastic beverage bottles to make bowling pins
for a fun game of lawn bowling.
Before starting this activity, be sure to get permission and ask for help.
Caution: Have an adult cut the milk jugs and laundry detergent bottles, since the plastic can be hard to cut.
What You Need
- Three to ten plastic 2-liter or 20 oz. plastic beverage bottles
- Plastic decorative grass, tissue paper, or leftover crepe paper
- Lightweight ball for a game of bowling
- Optional: Stickers
- Optional: sand for weighing down the bottles and funnel for adding the sand to the bottles
- Chopsticks or other long sticks
What You Do
- Peel the labels off of the plastic beverage bottles.
- Wash and dry the plastic beverage bottles. Tip: make sure the bottles are fully dry before filling them with paper decorations.
- If you would like to add a bit of weight to your bowling pins, use the funnel to add a handful of sand to each bottle. The sand will weigh the bottle down, making it a bit harder to knock over.
- For brightly colored bowling pins, fill each bottle with plastic decorative grass and scraps of tissue or crepe paper. Use the chopsticks or other long sticks to push the grass and tissue paper through the mouth of the bottle. Add stickers for additional decoration.
Set up plastic bottle bowling pins on your lawn and roll rubber or other lightweight balls toward the pins to knock them down!