Ever wanted green hair? Or wondered what it would be like to grow grass on your head? These crazy kids do! Make your own Green-Haired Kid by reusing materials you have around the house.
Before starting this activity, be sure to get permission and ask for help.
What You Need
- Old stocking or pantyhose
- Potting soil or peat moss
- Grass seed
- Empty yogurt container or other small cup
- Paint, yarn, glue and other art supplies to give your Green-Haired Kid personality (use your imagination!)
- Several sheets of newspaper
What You Do
- First, cover your work area with newspaper to keep it clean—dirt can get messy!
- Cut off the foot of the stocking at the ankle or the foot part of one leg of the pantyhose. You will only use the foot part that you have cut off.
- Place the foot part inside your yogurt container or cup. Fold the cut edges over the rim so that you have a fabric bag inside the cup. (Putting the foot part inside the cup makes it easier to do the next step.)
- Put about 2 tablespoons of grass seed into the bottom or toe. This is where the top of the head will be, and where your Kid's "hair" will grow.
- Place 1 ½ cups of potting soil or peat moss on top of your grass seed, packing it tightly.
- Remove the edges of the fabric from your cup and tie a knot in the open end, leaving a tail that is a few inches long. Turn the fabric bag upside down, with the knot on the bottom.
- Using paint or other supplies, give your Green-Haired Kid a face - be creative! You can make a nose by pulling a small piece of the fabric forward and tying it in place with a piece of yarn.
- Fill your yogurt container or cup ¾ full with water. Once your Green-Haired Kid's face has dried, soak it in water for about 3 minutes, avoiding the face area. Place it in the cup, with the knot and tail on the bottom. The tail should be long enough to reach the water so it can soak up the stocking to water the grass seed.
- Place your Green-Haired Kid in a sunny spot, be sure to keep it watered, and watch it grow!
In about three to four weeks, your Green-Haired Kid will have a full head of hair that you can cut! With regular "haircuts" and water, your Green-Haired Kid can last over a month.