This activity REQUIRES adult help.
Use old laundry detergent bottles or milk jugs to make fun catching mitts. These mitts make catching small balls easier for younger children.
Before starting this
activity, be sure to get permission and ask for help.
Caution: Have an adult cut the milk jugs and laundry detergent bottles, since the plastic can be hard to cut.
What You Need
- Two plastic milk cartons or laundry detergent bottles
- Colored electrical or painters tape
- Other materials to decorate the bottles, like paint, markers, glitter, and stickers
- Lightweight ball for a game of catch
What You Do
- Wash and dry two plastic milk cartons or laundry detergent bottles.
- Have an adult use sharp
scissors to cut the milk or detergent bottle.
- First cut the bottom of the bottles off.
- One side of each bottle will have a handle on it. Starting from the bottom of each bottle, cut straight up along the left edge, stopping two inches below handle-level.
- Next, cut across the side of the bottle, underneath the handle, and down the right edge of the bottle.
- Once finished with the above cuts, you should have made a "U" shape under the handle of the bottle.
- Use the electrical or painters tape to cover cut plastic edges.
- Use paint, markers, stickers, or other fun materials to decorate the bottles.
Have a great game of catch with your new, personalized catching mitt!