Recycling at Your Business Events and Meetings
Focusing on recycling at your organization's events and meetings protects the environment, presents a positive image to event attendees, and will likely save you money. Here are the keys to making your gathering successful and sustainable.
- Select a coordinator and recruit volunteers to set up, monitor, and facilitate the recycling efforts.
- Think about the waste that will be generated at your event and determine what materials to collect-bottles and cans? Cardboard boxes and paper? Food waste?
- Decide how to collect your recyclables. If a program is not available at your event venue, talk to your waste hauler or city contact to see what options are available for getting recycling bins and setting up recycling for your event.
- At your event, be sure to place recycling bins next to trash bins, mark them clearly, and empty them often. Attendees will be more likely to recycle if it's convenient and the bins aren't too full.
- Make it a success! Gather support and educate staff, vendors, and attendees about your recycling program. Promote your program in mailings and announcements for the event and at your event.
For more information on greening up your organization's gatherings, visit our Green Gatherings guide.