Have a Happy, Green Valentine’s Day
This year, consider putting a little more thought into your valentine's gift. It will show your loved one that you care about him or her and that you care for our environment. Instead of the standard cards, flowers, and chocolates try:
- Buy a card that is made from recycled materials, or make one from materials you already have
- Consider sending an e-card to friends and family rather than a paper card
- Buy local, fair trade, organic chocolates-it will support the producers and cut down on waste used to transport or chemicals used in production
- Choose locally grown, organic flowers
- Make a donation to an organization close to your valentine's heart
- Look for antique jewelry rather than buying new
- Plan a trip, concert or other experience that you could do together
- Walk to dinner at a local restaurant, or make dinner yourself using locally grown ingredients.
- Buy candles made with soy or beeswax, or make your own
However you decide to celebrate this Valentine's Day, a little extra thought and personalization can keep your valentine and your environment happy.